I have prepared a new Excel workbook HERE that allows three side by side area comparisons of HUD proposed FY 2012 2 bedroom Fair Market rents to LIHTC 50% or 60% MFI rents. The workbook also shows comparisons to LIHTC rents reduced by 5%, to simulate "street rents" that are below the LIHTC maximum rents.
To make these comparisons all the user has to do is select from a pull down list of more than 4,700 alphabetically listed areas. Once that is done Excel calculates 12 values and answers:
- 2 BR LIHTC Max Rent,50% MFI
- 2 BR LIHTC Max Rent, 60% MFI
- 2 BR LIHTC Rent,50% MFI, X 95%.
- 2 BR LIHTC Rent,60% MFI, X 95%
- 2 BR FMR, FY 2012 MINUS 2 BR LIHTC Max Rent,50% MFI
- 2 BR FMR, FY 2012 MINUS 2 BR LIHTC Max Rent, 60% MFI
- 2 BR FMR, FY 2012 MINUS 2 BR LIHTC Rent,50% MFI, X 95%.
- 2 BR FMR, FY 2012 MINUS 2 BR LIHTC Rent,60% MFI, X 95%.
- Is 2 BR FMR LOWER than 50% MFI LIHTC Max Rent?
- Is 2 BR FMR LOWER than 60% MFI LIHTC Max Rent?
- Is 2 BR FMR LOWER than 50% MFI LIHTC Rent X 95%?
- Is 2 BR FMR LOWER than 60% MFI LIHTC Rent X 95%?
The workbook also includes a worksheet that allows users to filter areas by state, so they can see the area selections available for their state.
Note: The area comparison worksheet is password protected to prevent inadvertent data entry.
Downloading Tip-This workbook was created in Excel 2007 format. Some users report they cannot direct view Excel files in this format from within their browser and that Excel files they save end up with a compressed .zip file extension. My suggestion is to RIGHT CLICK and save the file to your PC. Then navigate to the file you downloaded and look at its file extension. IF it appears as .ZIP extension, change the .ZIP extension to an Excel 2007 extension (.xlsx), and THEN open the file with Excel 2007/2010.
Originally created and posted on the Oregon Housing Blog.