Using 2013 data from HUD, I constructed a new workbook HERE, and embedded below, that confirms that speculation. Some observations:
- Oregon ranks # 2 in the country in reliance on vouchers as the form of HUD rental assistance.
- 67% of HUD rental assistance in Oregon was in the form of vouchers.
- Oregon's reliance rate of 67% was 49% higher than the national average of 45%.
- HUD's NW region (10) also ranks #1 in reliance on vouchers, at 62%; that's 37% higher than the national average of 45%.
- Only Nevada, at 70%, had a higher voucher reliance rate than Oregon.
Take away: HUD voucher cutbacks disproportionately impact Oregon and the Northwest.
Originally created and posted on the Oregon Housing Blog.