Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Some Historical Background Data on Oregon Hispanic Home Ownership.

In 2001, while I was serving as HUD Oregon State Coordinator, I authored two Oregon minority focused home ownership reports that included census data and data on FHA and Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac lending to minority first time home buyers. 

In each report I highlight the importance of home ownership for building intergenerational wealth, the gap between minority and white homeownership, the prominent role that FHA single family loans play in minority first time homebuyer lending, and the underrepresentation of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac in first time home buyer loans to African Americans and Hispanics.  

A have previously posted the first, The State of African American Homeownership in 2000, HERE. (In a related 2017 post HERE I updated the 15 year equity gains that Portland home owners would have realized between 2001-2016; the gain would have been $185k vs. my 2001 estimate of $75k). 

I hadn't been able to locate the second, The State of Hispanic Homeownership in Oregon, 2000 but I recently retrieved it from one of my older computers and have posted it HERE, and embedded below.

I realize there is a whole new generation or housing advocates who may not be aware of the historical data on minority home ownership in Oregon, and these reports may provide some useful context. 

I will be highlighting some of the changes in Hispanic homeownership from 2000-2017 in a future post. 



Originally created and posted on the Oregon Housing Blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment