Wednesday, April 15, 2009

BIG CORRECTION: RMLS Portland Data for March: YTD Dollar Volume Down 42% (NOT 67%) Vs. Last Year.

Ever do something so dumb, you can't believe you did it?

Well, I did it with this post and I'm embarrased as hell...

Combining data from all the different sub areas is a chore, especially when cutting, pasting, etc. I made some errors in that process and it completely threw off the results.

A CORRECTED version of link previously below is HERE; it shows a 42% decline in dollar sales volume instead of the 67% decline I previously reported.

Next month, I'm going to keep it simple and just do a metro wide calculation instead of trying to do all calculations for each subdivision.

I have corrected text below and made sure that adding three months together totals the YTD for both 2008 and 2009.

IF you discover any additional errors, PLEASE DO let me know (and let me have it too!).

My apologies to all, uggghhh!
-------------

In a post last month HERE I reported that my analysis showed that through February the dollar volume of Portland area RMLS closed sales was down 44% compared to last year. (This earlier post includes details about methods, which I encourage you to read. Important note is that my analysis does not include Clark County data).

I just did a similar analysis that compares YTD through March. It shows the dollar volume of closed single family sales declined by 42% compared to same period for last year. That [corrected] new analysis can be found HERE.

Instead of looking at sales volume and median prices independently, a dollar sales comparison provides an unified way of showing the combined impact of declining sales volume and declining prices. This measure may be particularly important in understanding the impact on incomes that are directly related to dollar sales volumes, whether in the private or government sector.

No comments:

Post a Comment