Using new Census 2010 data for Oregon that just became available today I have created a new Excel workbook HERE. The one worksheet in the file allows you to EASILY compare side by side home ownership and rental household related data for up to three areas that you will choose from a pull down list of more than 1,200 available Oregon geographies.
Geographies include counties, cities/places, and census tracts ; you will be able to compare these areas on 33 separate household [NOT population] tenure dimensions including:
- Counts of total households by race and ethnicity,
- Counts of home owners by race and ethnicity,
- Counts of renters by race and ethnicity,
- Home ownership rates by race and ethnicity, and
- Gaps in minority home ownership rates compared to White, non Hispanic home ownership rates. (I define "Gaps" as the % increase in minority home ownership rate necessary to reach the White, non Hispanic home ownership rate. If a minority HO rate is 20% and the White non Hispanic HO rate is 40% there is a 100% minority HO rate gap--I.E. The minority HO rate would have to double to reach the White non Hispanic HO rate).
As a default the Excel file opens to a side by side comparison of data for :
- The State of Oregon
- Multnomah County
- City of Portland
To change those areas simply choose from pull down lists that appear in the columns to the right of the three "Select Geo Area" columns. The workbook then automatically looks up the data for the geo areas you have selected.
Once you choose your 3 geographies, you can print the results in a two page document: a PDF sample using the three default selections [State of Oregon, Multnomah County, and City of Portland] is HERE.
Downloading Tip-This workbook was created in Excel 2007 format. Some users report they cannot direct view Excel files in this format from within their browser and that Excel files they save end up with a compressed .zip file extension. My suggestion is to RIGHT CLICK and save the file to your PC. Then navigate to the file you downloaded and look at its file extension. IF it appears as .ZIP extension, change the .ZIP extension to an Excel 2007 extension (.xlsx), and THEN open the file with Excel 2007/2010.
- Worksheet has been password protected to prevent inadvertent data entry--you will ONLY be able to select the three geo areas from the pull down lists; all other values are then calculated automatically.
- A #DIV/0! error in the results means one of values in formula was "0", preventing a valid result from the formula. Most often for this worksheet this could occur if there are no minority households, renter households, or minority home owners in the chosen geography.
- This was a complex worksheet to put together, if you discover any unusual or apparently inconsistent or incorrect data, please DO send me an email or add a comment below.